[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arc length vs pwr

Greg,

Here's a quick summary for your study...

System 1: (currently operational)
=================================
 Total AC input power (watts): 140 Volts, 25 Amps, 3500 VA (with 168
uF    of PFC Capacitance - the system is very close to 60 Hz resonance)
 Output arc length (inches): 62" (point-to point to ground)
 Gap repetition rate (pulses per second): Estimated at 240 - 320
PPS                           (Using combination of static/vacuum gaps)
 Output frequency (Hz): Ringdown Center Freq: 91 kHz
 Primary capacitance (uF): 0.021 uF
 Primary voltage (V): Estimated Vgap of 17000 V (15KV 120 MA Neons
driven                      at up to 140 VAC)
 Secondary (or tertiary) inductance (mH): 2-coil system, 10.25" x 31"
coil, with #21 AWG close-wound; 73450 uH
 Top Discharger: 32" x 8" toroid
 Coupling Coefficient: 0.215

System 2: (previous coil)
========================
 Total AC input power (watts): 140 Volts, 20 Amps, 2800 VA (no PFC)
 Output arc length (inches): 46" (point-to point to ground)
 Gap repetition rate (pulses per second): Estimated at 240 - 320
PPS                           (Using combination of static/vacuum gaps)
 Output frequency (Hz): Ringdown Center Freq: 160 kHz
 Primary capacitance (uF): 0.021 uF
 Primary voltage (V): Estimated Vgap of 17000 V (15KV 90 MA Neons
driven                      at up to 140 VAC)
 Secondary Inductance (mH): 2-coil system, 6.25" x 24.25" coil, with
#22    AWG close-wound; 27550 uH
 Top Discharger: 32" x 8" toroid
 Coupling Coefficient: 0.156

Good Luck in your study. Please let us see the results when you're done
- Thanks in advance!

Safe coilin' to ya!

-- Bert --

<SNIP>