[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Tuning/Debugging Next

<< > If I remember correctly, you were using multiple oven elements for
 > resistive ballast? try using fewer elements. This will reduce the
 > dampening of your arc welders inductance.
 >
 >         jim

 All,

 Here, here, I second the motion.  We have struggled here in Richmond to
 learn all this the hard way too.  On tape #8 1990 we finalize this maxim
 for all to see.  The resistance is a must for all the above reasons with
 pole type xfrmers.  Bill Richards ignited a lamp socket in his ceiling.
 He also burned out a wall light switch.  Alex Tajnsek took out a stove
 exhaust fan (caught fire).  The bunggy cord nature of the resitive
 portion of the ballast mushes the response of the big inductor.  Gotta
 have it for best operation!  I believe it was in 1990 that I wrote a
 sysergistic tune paper for Harry Goldman.  This covered spark gaps, etc.

 Richard Hull, TCBOR >>

Jim and Richard,

Thanks for the advice.  I had been using three 2000 watt oven elements (each
in parallel) in parallel with the welder which is ballasting the pole pig.
 This is a 5 KVA pig that I have been running up to 7 or 8 KVA.  As I
mentioned, with my recent changes in the primary circuit the gaps will not
fire with the old configuration and the system would only work well with the
resistive elements unplugged - i.e. welder only.  What would you suggest
here?  Just trying two elements then one element in parallel with the welder
and check system performance?  I have up to six or seven 2000 watt elements
that can be used.  Is there any value in trying the elements in series with
the welder?  I did try that in the old configuration and performance went
down.

Thanks,  Ed Sonderman