[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Paper Capacitors

> Date:          Thu, 5 Sep 1996 22:25:28 -0600
> From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> To:            Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       Re: Paper Capacitors

> > Subject: Re: Paper Capacitors
> > Subject: Re: Salt water caps, was earth resonance
>
> >From hullr-at-whitlock-dot-comThu Sep  5 22:16:22 1996
> Date: Thu, 05 Sep 1996 11:29:29 -0700
<SNIP>

> Tesla had a constant problem with the "bottles giving way" as he tried to
> up his voltage input in July through September 1899.  The manitou bottle
> helped a lot but never really worked perfectly.  I have noted his wiring
> arrangment on the caps.  (published in my book) and he could adjust to
> just a 1000pf with mere external wire connects.  No need to fart with the
> water levels other than to replace water lost through evaporation. (dry
> climate).

 I believe that you mean Maniton (not Manitou) water bottles and while
he did have then break from time to time he attributed it to a a cascading
effect. The bottles (is placed in series) were able to withstand an
EMF of 30,000 safely and stated that he thought the glass was
excellent. (Colorado Springs notes by Nolit page 120.) As far as them
giving way, I want to know how many TC builders are putting thier
coils under the kind of stress Tesla did? I don't think that this is
an issue unless you are a very serious TC Builder. Most of what I
have seen posted on this site are neon sign transformer Tesla Coils
with emf in the 10 to 15KV range.
As far as "farting" around with the water level he did this on
numerous occasions though I concede that wiring swaps were used
mostly (much easier to do!) but you will also see different
capacitance values used due to differing bottle draft.
As far as loosing water due to evaporation that was not the case
since he plugged the top with parafin oil (also page 120).

My point was that there is no need to downplay bottle caps for the
novice. Not everyone has either the time or resources to do it by more
"efficient" means.