[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: rotary gap electrodes

I use 12" x 2" x 3/8" aluminum bar on each side of my rotary break
wheel with 1/8" tig welder tungsten rods in the aluminum bar as
stationary electrodes and 8/32 stainless steel screws on the 2 x 3/8"
thick sandwiched lexan(180 degrees wrt each other neutralizes warpage
effects-makes it nice and flat and strong) rotar wheel (12" diameter).
The aluminum bars become hot to the touch after 2 minutes of cw coil
operation but not too hot to touch.  As Richard Hull pointed out
to me recently, acrylic is dangerous to work with as it can shatter
into sharp shards.  That is why I remade my break wheel out of lexan.
The tungsten rods get very hot.  They will melt the plastic.  That is why
I used aluminum bars.  I used 1" x 3" long brass rods on my first attempt
and melted the tungsten rods after 20 minutes of cw coil operation.
The stainless steel screws on the break wheel never got warm and wore
very little.

                                        Barry