[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Tuning/Debugging -- Success!

Tesla List wrote:

> >From Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-comSat Sep  7 09:39:42 1996
> Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 17:37:28 -0400
> From: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: More Tuning/Debugging -- Success!

> << Ed, All
>
>  I have followed this thread a bit and will note that there is no limit to
>  the coupling of coils beyond a physical limit other than the ability of
>  the coiler to control quench time!  The faster the quench the tighter the
>  coupling allowed.  Too fast a quench, however, causes the power to fall
>  off.  Quench time is the factor that causes most coilers, as they move up
>  in power, to have to decouple a bit.  They keep the same gap and
>  therefore the same quench time.  Often a new gap or complete rethink is
>  required to take full advantage of the increased power.
>
>  Richard Hull, TCBOR >>
>
> Richard,
>
> You have commented several times on this subject.  How do you control the
> quench time?  I use a rotary gap with one set of fixed tungsten electrodes
> and 16 stainless steel electrodes.  Speed is variable but it usually runs
> about 3,000 RPM (best guess) which would provide about 800 breaks per second.
>  This gap is operated in series with a cylindrical static gap ( seven 1.5"
> dia copper pipe sections)  which is electrically folded in half - i.e. three
> .028" gaps in parallel with three more.
>
> I arrived at this configuration by testing every combination as components
> were added or modified.  Does this gap sound like it should perform well at
> these power levels?
>
> Ed Sonderman

Ed,

Quench time is a bear to make truly variable over any real range.  The
average coiler, if tuning in a synergistic manner, will adjust his or her
coupling to match a given quench time.  (determined by diameter of
electrodes, diameter of wheel and rotational velocity.)  The only one of
these normally adjustable by the amateur is the speed. (not a very good
way to adjust the dwell.)

Numerous schemes might be divised, but are mechanically complex.  The
TCBOR series rotary gaps developed by myself and Dave Sharpe for our
magnifier allows for some fairly short dwell times.  They are still not
variable other than via speed control.

Richard Hull, TCBOR