[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Big conical TC

Tesla List wrote:

> >From sgreiner-at-mail.wwnet-dot-comSat Sep  7 09:30:35 1996
> Date: Fri, 06 Sep 1996 20:00:19 -0700
> From: Skip Greiner <sgreiner-at-mail.wwnet-dot-com>
> To: tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Big conical TC
>
> I believe that Bert Hickman asked if there are any big conical TCs
> around. Some time ago I believe I was at the Palomar Observatory in the
> Los Angeles area and visited the museum which was at the site on top of
> the mountain. They had a conical TC which if memory serves me was about
> 6' or 7' tall. I believe it was 1/2 of a two coil system. Also again if
> memory serves me I think the single coil which was on display put out
> about 10" sparks. Sorry I don't have more info. Perhaps someone else is
> familiar with this coil and can tell us if it still exists and more
> importantly, if it still works.
>
> Skip

I think you are referring to the Tesla coil on display at the Griffith
Observatory here in LA... You are correct in that the coil was originally
a bipolar design, and was owned, if my memory is correct, by a Dr Strong.

Due to size constraints, they decided to run with only 1/2 of the coil
in a vertical fashion. This also gave a 'spare' secondary. Over the years
though, the coil fell into disrepair, including the 'spare' secondary,
which would explain the wimpy 10" sparks.

There was an article some years back about a group of TC'ers who went
and rebuilt the thing, all on a voluntary basis. You might want to
check with Harry Goldman of the TCBA.

- Brent