[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: carbon gaps+N2

Tesla List wrote:

> > > Subject: carbon gaps
> > Subject: Re: carbon gaps+N2
> > > Subject: carbon gaps
>
> >From bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-comSat Sep 14 14:30:52 1996
> Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 09:05:13 -0700
> From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: carbon gaps+N2
>
> Tesla List wrote:
> >
> > > Subject: carbon gaps
> >
> > >From hb-at-earthlink-dot-netFri Sep 13 22:24:32 1996
> > Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 22:12:04 -0700
> > From: WILLIAM HENDERSON <hb-at-earthlink-dot-net>
> > To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> > Subject: Re: carbon gaps+N2

> > > Date: Wed, 11 Sep 96 10:05:29 EDT
> > > From: pierson-at-msd26.enet.dec-dot-com
> > > To: mail11:  ;
> > > Cc: pierson-at-msd26.enet.dec-dot-com
> > > Subject: carbon gaps

> > >         Sure.  Much of early wireless used arc transmitters.  Work fine.
> > >         (OK:  A tad noisy by modern standards.  8)>>)
> > >
> > >         One of the earliest 'true cw' transmitters.
> > >
> > >         These were separate/distinct from a spark (gap) transmitter.  ARC
> > >         and SPARK are different critters.  The ARC transmitters were/are
> > >         capable of voice broadcasting.
> > >
> > >         (Interesting thought, actually, use an ARC RF source as a 'driver'
> > >         for a tesla secondary....  Needs a whole differnt PS technology:
> > >         low volts, lots n lots a amps...)   My GUESS is that spark excitation
> > >         is more 'efficient' for tesla-type work.
> > >
> > >         regards
> > >         dwpHi
> >   Try emersing your carbon gap in n2(nitrogen gas),this will stop the
> > flaming of the gap.I use carbon arc rods used in "old" projector
> > lamphouses,these rods are designed with copper centers to draw the heat
> > away from the arc.These rods are designed for lots of current 200+ amps
> > Use your n2 at low pressure,any questions just ask
> > bill-- hb-at-earthlink-dot-net
>
> Bill,
>
> Moviehouse carbons used to have copper plated exteriors to improve
> electrical conductivity. The centers I remember had some type of
> chemical additive which permitted the arc to be more "white" in color
> for better color balance during projection... has this changed in recent
> years?
>
> -- Bert --Hi, Bert your right,the carbon arc rods have a copper exterior which
keeps the carbon compressed and gives better conductivity.Over the years
several manufactures tried different centers to improve color and length
of burn,I use the old "National special CC neg." rods ,but when it comes
to color,spectrum,flicker,hot spots and running time you just can't beat
"Xenon" high pressure arc lamps.They come in different wattages from 900
to 4000+
Bill   hb-at-earthlink-dot-net