[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Multi Subject: Earth Resonance, ions

While it is well documented that Tesla measured/observed an earth resonance of
16 Hz (more or less) from Colorado Springs in 1899, the following may be of
interest, from

		Lightning Conductors & Guards
		(Sir?) Oliver Lodge
		1892 (_1892_)

P 260, Chapter on 'electric radiation':
	Even on large spheres the oscillations cannot be considered slow:
	thus an electrostatic charge on the whole earth would surge to and
	fron 17 times a second.

Apparently Lodge calculated this, he does not mention measuring it.
Lodge (later Sir Oliver) was an 'electrician' when that meant researcher,
he had an alternate set of wirelss patents to Marconi, etc, etc.

==========================
On the lifetime of ions, an odd observation.
It is not exactly obvious, but ionization can persist for some time.  One
oddity, not exactly tesla, but curious:
	when a common incandescent lamp fails, sometimes the bulb will emit
	a dim blue glow, persisting for seconds to 10s of seconds.  I ASSume
	this to be an example fo long term decay of ionization.

(I have tried (not very hard) to replicate this by firing into the lamp with
a small coil, without cuccess.)

(One could likely replicate by disconnecting the variac from the coil, and using
it to overvolt some light bulbs...)

The effect is NOT 'persistence of vision' (chemical overload of the retina), as
the lamp glows, not a fixed area on the retina.  The light can (dimly)
illuminate other objects.

	grins
	dwp