[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: PFC Cap Solo

>>From tesla-at-america-dot-comThu Sep 26 21:51:07 1996
>Date: Thu, 26 Sep 96 07:04 EDT
>From: Bob Schumann <tesla-at-america-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: PFC Cap Solo

>In the schematics I have seen for PFC caps, it has
>been parallel to the AC mains coming into the
>(in this case) neon sign transformer. I am trying
>physically the same thing but I just attached a
>lamp cord directly to the cap and plug it in at
>the same receptacle as the transfromer. Both
>receptacles are wired together for same curcuit.
>Even though this satisfies the schematic, does
>anyone see a problem with this ? The only one I
>can think of is cord length.

>Thanks,
>Bob Schumann

Bob,

I see three problems with this setup.

1). Safety Hazard.  Each time you remove the capacitor plug from the
wall outlet the cap will most likely be charged unless you break the
connection by slim chance right at zero 60 Hz crossing.  Someone
might come along and get a really nasty shock from the exposed,
charged male prongs on this plug.  I wouldn't use this system, I'd
wire the PFC cap directly into the Tesla transformer circuit if it
works.  If you must go your route, put a bleeder resistor across the
cap to discharge it after being unplugged.  A 47K ohm , 2 watt carbon
film would help.  It will dissipate about 0.3 watts at 120 volts
and has adequate overwattage rating for reliability factor.

2). Plug Wear.  Each time you insert the plug in the wall oulet,
unless the contact is made at zero crossing you will crater the
receptacle contacts.  This will cumulatively result in shortened
service life of the outlet.

3). RFI.  With the PFC cap wired with relatively short leads in
parallel with the neon primary you will gain some added benefit of
spike and RFI suppression back to your wall outlet.  With your
proposed remote hookup the RFI suppression benefit will be lost and
more RFI can enter the house wiring..

rwstephens