[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Controller question

Tesla List wrote:

> >From sroys-at-umabnet.ab.umd.eduWed Sep 25 22:02:05 1996
> Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 10:32:41 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Steve Roys <sroys-at-umabnet.ab.umd.edu>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Controller question
>
> My control cabinet has line filters, a variac, and a relay (along with
> the requisite meters, etc...).  Does it matter what order everything is
> wired up in?  I started off with wall outlet to line filters to relay to
> powerstat and finally out to Tesla filter/safety gap board, but then I
> started thinking about whether that was the best order.  Should the line
> filters be after everything else in order to cut down on the stray RF
> getting back to the relay and variac?  How has everyone else wired things
> up?
>
> Steve Roys.

Hi Steve:
	I wired my control cabinet in a slightly different arrangement and I am
also curious as to what other have done and what is the best
alternative.  I went from the 240 VAC 30 amp outlet to a connection
point where the welder and oven elements are connected in one leg with
plugs and sockets, followed by the control relay feeding the variac.
The output of the variac goes (metered at this point) directly into the
EMI filter which feeds the line going to the pole pig primary. I did not
notice any RFI of any sort inside our house with the coil set up ouside
in our driveway parking spot or turn around.  However, I clearly saw
small arcing when I first was running, on some of the 240 VAC lines
coming in and the lines feeding the range elements and the welder.  This
was between very heavy industrial grade #10 wire cord and #16 lead wire
with a 600 VAC rated jacket.   That's gone now with the individual
plugs, so things were running in an apparently acceptable manner at the
last firing.  Richard Q. mentioned that he had seen this happen before
too, if my memory is correct.  Unfortunately, I have things all packed
up right now.  It's starting to get cold around here now and I needed to
get the truck back into the garage.  I hope to finish my new stationary
gap next--that's about all from Wisconsin!

Chuck Curran