[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil Transformer Query

Neil,

Welcome aboard! Your oil burner transformer will deliver about 200 VA,
and is sized about right for the capacitance value you have. While I'm
not sure what the "33% ED in 3min" means, these transformers are made to
run at the same duty cycle as a home furnace, so intermittent use for
coiling should present no problem. The capacitor voltage rating (20
KVDC) may be a little low for your transformer voltage - 30 KV would
give you more safety margin. If you decide to use these, don't open your
gap too widely lest you blow them. Also, remember to let your mica caps
cool down between runs - these tend to be fairly lossy in Tesla Coil
service.

Small coils can be surprisingly efficient spark producers. Depending
upon your gap setting, how well you construct the primary and secondary,
and the size of the toroid, you'll probably be able to achieve 12-18"
of  sparklength. If you've been following the "power versus arclength"
thread, you'll see that this can be quite a controversial area! If you
construct the coil well, you may be able to set a new record!

Good luck, and safe coilin' to ya!

-- Bert --