[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil Transformer Query

----- Begin Included Message -----

>From tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com Wed Oct  9 05:53:40 1996
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 22:25:55 -0600
From: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
To: Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
Subject: Tesla Coil Transformer Query

>From Neil.Pegg-at-src.bae.co.ukTue Oct  8 22:24:40 1996
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 96 20:14:28 BST
From: Neil Pegg <Neil.Pegg-at-src.bae.co.uk>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Cc: Neil.Pegg-at-src.bae.co.uk

Hello,
My first post.

I'm currently building a coil around a transformer used, I think, for
boiler ignition purposes (I got it from a central heating equipment shop).
It is rated at 10kV 20mA but says on the case "For Intermittent Use Only"
and then "33% ED in 3min".
What does this mean and will the unit be okay for a TC?

  Transformer rating is not continous.   If you run this transformer all day at
  20mA then it will burn out.   It has been designed for short runs like
  ignighting a boiler (10 secs on, 5 minutes off)

  Should be OK for a small TC (200watts) as long as you keep the run times low.

I'm also going to use 5 X 0.001 uF mica caps rated at 20kV (ex admiralty)
with probably a static gap.

  Will you be wiring all 5 0.001 caps in parallel?  If so then this will make
  a 0.005uF cap.   Using Z of a cap formula 1/(2*PI*F*C) at 60Hz gives 530KOhms
  current at 10KV is 18mA.   So thats OK.

What sort of spark length can I expect with this coil assuming it is a
good one?

  Rough guess 14"

Many thanks in advance for any info

Neil