[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More New Coil

Tesla List wrote:

> >From MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nzTue Oct 29 22:58:08 1996
> Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 17:10:17 +1200
> From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: More New Coil
>
> Hi all,
>          After two coats of varnish I decided to measure the coil
> more closely. The final spec. after winding (and some former
> modification) is:
>
> Former = acrylic skeleton w. single layer of 1/8" LDPE sheet over it
> Dwire = 0.9mm (copper diameter)
> H = 39"
> D = 16.8"
> H/D = 2.3 roughly
> N = 1000 turns
> TPI = 25.6 or thereabouts
> L(meas) = 162mH
> C(calc) = 23pF
> Fr projected = 82kHz without top hat. I won't be checking this
> parameter until after all varnish has been applied (about 2 weeks).
>
>     Winding was not without one or two slight technical hitches (most
> notably barely avoiding wire bunching) but generally looks OK. Here's
> to a bit of serious coilin' in the not-too-distant future.
>     I am hoping to have a go at metal spinning some terminals for it
> and that'll probably be the next item on the agenda.
>
> Malcolm

Malcolm, sounds like a "killer coil".  With that inductance it will
perform no matter what for it has a "large momentum" as Tesla would say.
 I would imagine that at least a 50-80pf top hap would really make the
thing sing in the white hot arc chorus!  It'll work at 5KW with little or
no load, but won't sing well with the big load until about 10-15KW is
applied, I would think.  Good luck and keep us informed.

Richard Hull, TCBOR