[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: 50%

>Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 22:25:20 -0700
>From: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
>To: Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
>Subject: 50%
>
>From hullr-at-whitlock-dot-comMon Oct 28 21:48:14 1996
>Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 12:43:40 -0800
>From: Richard Hull <hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: 50%
>
>All,
>
>In theory,  We should never be more than 50% efficient in energy transfer
>from one capacitor to another!  i.e. the Cprimary to the Csecondary
>Usually the resonator load capacitance plus Ion cloud loading.  This
>assumes 100% coupling and zero other losses!  If fact, we are much lower
>than that with the finest system in operation.
>
>50% of the capacitively stored energy always disappears in circuit loses
>(resistive and magnetic) even with direct wired connections.  There is a
>lot of additional wasteful garbage going on in between the primary and
>secondary capacitors.
>
>Richard Hull, TCBOR

   What are you talikng about?  Some specific circuit I presume.  Your
   post lacks quoted text and the second paragraph is rather general,
   so I take some exception.

   For instance,

   If I take a 0.1ufd cap charged at 10KV and another identical one
   but uncharged, and I connect them together (as you said, "direct
   wired connections"), even with a small resisitor in series, I will
   get a final voltage of very close to 5kV, will I not?  This is
   nearly 50% of the energy in the first capacitor transferred to the
   second with very little losses to the circuit.  There are tiny
   losses in the dielectric and the wires.  Typical dielectric
   'efficiencies' exceed 99% and the resistive losses are trivial.
   This is close to 100% transmission of 50% of the charge.  The
   remaining charge stayed on the first capacitor.  The losses to the
   **circuit** resistive and magnetic are tiny.  Most of the energy is
   still stored *in* the two capacitors.

 Fred W. Bach ,    Operations Group        | Internet: music-at-triumf.ca
 TRIUMF (TRI-University Meson Facility)    | Voice:  604-222-1047 loc 6327/7333
 4004 WESBROOK MALL, UBC CAMPUS            | FAX:    604-222-1074
 University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B.C., CANADA   V6T 2A3
 "Accuracy is important. Details can mean the difference between life & death."
 These are my opinions, which should ONLY make you read, think, and question.
 They do NOT necessarily reflect the views of my employer or fellow workers.