[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Small Rotary

<<
 I think you have discovered a well guarded secret!  I have a pair of
 old hard drives I picked up from a surplus source with the intent of
 using them for a future rotary project where higher precision will be
 required.  These disk pack drives are beautifully machined, on jewel
 like bearings as you say.  Mine have a toothed timing belt to connect
 the spindle to a approx 1/2 HP motor.  Memory tells me these things
 ran at 3600 RPM.  There is a nice flat stainless steel platter about
 5-6 inches diameter with threaded machined holes around the
 circumference which can be used to bolt your fiberglass or whatever
 wheel up against and have hiogher expectations of it running true
 without lateral wobble.  I would certainly recommend these dinosaurs
 of computer technology as a great starting source of hardware for a
 rotary gap project!  Your price of $20 is excellent value.

HAH, I knew it. Now the hair pulling starts and I dont have much but Ill
begin the project anyway. I have a feeling about this one.    Stephen.