[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TC Secondary Base Power

Tesla List wrote:

> At 04:25 AM 10/22/96 +0000, you wrote:
> >From rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-comMon Oct 21 21:18:11 1996
> >Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 19:40:29 -0700
> >From: Richard Wayne Wall <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>
> >To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> >Subject: TC Secondary Base Power
> >
> >10/20/96
> >
> >To All,
> >
> >I am attempting to measure power output from the base of a small
> >quarter wave TC secondary.
> >
> >Since the secondary coil is oscillating as a tank circuit with the
> >toroid and counter poise (earth) as capacitor plates (a very gross over
> >simplification), shouldn't energy transfer at the base of the coil
> >equal energy transfer at the top of the coil?> >Any thoughts?
> >
> >RWW

Richard Hull answers Richard Wall:

Absolutely!!!  The resonator can be sort of,... kinda,... maybe,...be
viewed as a laser cavity.  The primary is the flash lamp. (energy input
source).  The helix of wire is the tuned cavity.  The ground is the 100%
reflective mirror.  The toroid end is the partially silvered output
mirror/window.  A bigger toroid (heavy silvering) traps energy within the
cavity longer increasing the relative rise of power, via multiple
reflections, but reduces the output duty cycle.  Smaller toploads or no
toroid (very light silvering) allows the system to function but the
energy output is minimal but more continuous.  Energy is conserved , as
always, but the output appears vastly different in the two cases.  The
energy in the coil is blasted in and out of the ground at the resonant
frequency.  100% of the cavity energy (energy actually circulating in the
resonantor tank system) passes through this connection!

Lousey grounds show up as a real loser...the once 100% silvered mirror
(ground) is now only partially reflective and emitting or releasing some
of the trapped cavity energy!

 There is some loss, or energy differential between this point and the
actual ouput point, (heat, skin losses, resistive losses, etc), but it is
fairly minimal in a good system.  This is where the rubber meets the
road!  I would say that a measure of the base energy would closely follow
the actual output energy of the system.

 From my measurements ( not calculations) made in the past on two coil
systems, this is on the order of only 10-20% of the wall outlet supplied
energy.

If you want to see nasty raw RF power,..  If you want to smoke
instruments,... stick 'em in the base/ground circuit of a big system.

Richard Hull, TCBOR