[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Light Bulb Experiment (Followup)

Tesla List wrote:

> > Subject: Light Bulb Experiment (Followup)
>
> >From sgreiner-at-mail.wwnet-dot-comTue Oct  1 21:51:47 1996
> Date: Tue, 01 Oct 1996 11:52:48 -0700
> From: Skip Greiner <sgreiner-at-mail.wwnet-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Light Bulb Experiment (Followup)
>
> Tesla List wrote:
> >Bert wrote:
> >
> > Using 420 PPS, with each toroid-ground current surge lasting only 1.5
> > uSec, the total time "ON" time per second is about 420 x 1.5 uSec or 630
> > uSec, implying a duty cycle of only about 0.063%. The toroid-ground
> > current peaks which would have to flow to "average" 400 MA can now be
> > estimated: Isurge=(0.400)/(630x1e-6) or about 635 Amps(!). However,
> > since the actual current surges are exponentially decaying during each
> > 1.5 uSec shot, the actual current peaks are probably significantly
> > greater than 1000 Amps(!).
> >
> > This explains why these discharges look so mean and evil... they ARE!
> >
> > As always, flames, brickbats, and snickering are always welcomed.  <:?)
> >
> > Safe (and rubber-booted) coilin' to ya!
> >
> > -- Bert --
>
> Bert
> This is neat stuff but I think one more measurement needs to be made. I
> have a major problem in believing that the filament will actually take a
> 1000 amp pulse. I think a controlled test dumping a 1000 amp pulse of
> the prescribed 1.5 usec  pulse duration thru the lamp to see if the lamp
> will actually live would help to bolster your conclusions.
>
> Skip

Skip,

Believe it!  The average switching pulse, logic signal in your CPU can
easily generate 1000 amp pulses off the 5 volt line!  The average copper
conductor that handles this current is mere microns across!  It is a
matter of power dissapation.  Your can't put in a lot of power in a few
nanoseconds.  It takes absorbed power to blow a wire or lead in two.  The
light bulb survives due to the low average power delivered to the
filament.  Thousands of ampere currents can often result in only
microwatts of power being absorbed.  Lotsa' peak energy can show up as
"flea" power.

Richard Hull, TCBOR