[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Steinmetz Coil

Quoting Gene Lambert <cyberverse-dot-com-at-cyberverse-dot-com>:

> I am interested in building, (because of financial and physical
> constraints) a tabletop magnifying transmitter. I would like it
> to have a rotary gap, and be powered by my 15K neon sign
> transformer. However, I am open to suggestions ; )

If you are limited for space and $$$ on a coil project that is to
be powered with a neon sign transformer you should drop the
thought of building or buying a rotary gap. A well crafted static
gap can be made to perform quite well; it is going to be cheaper,
quicker, and easier to build.

In my experiments with small magnifier systems I have been
disappointed with the life span of neon transformers while
powering this circuit. Due to the higher coupling coefficients
the tank circuit kicks back with greater peak power when the
system is not perfectly tuned. The neon suffers, and generally
have a very low life span (measured in minutes). A heavier,
heartier transformer will withstand the abuse, but then again you
are talking about a major increase in size, cost and complexity.

> Any plans out there?

None that I am aware of, but I am leery of TC plans anyway. You
are probably better off designing the system from scratch with
guidance from the group here. This will keep the cost low as you
can design using materials and components that are readily
available.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12