[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tank frequency

In  response to Kyle Chadwick, it was mentioned that the ocilation frequency
of the "tank"  circuit is primarily a function of the inductance (L) of the
primary coil and the capacitance (C) of the tank capacitor.  This is of
course a boilerplate description of a typical LC circuit..... In a neon
xformer driven tesla circuit (primary), however, I understand that the
inductance of the neon supply xformer (its secondary winding) has a much
greater impact on the tank circuits frequency of occilation than the
relatively measily inductance of the tesla primary coil.  Any comments?

Second, I have heard the term "tank circuit" used to describe an LC circuit
for years and have never found anyone who knew what "tank" orriginally
referred to or why the circuit was blessed with this name...... it has been
suggested that the orriginal reference may be lost in antiquity.  Any
guesses?

- DavidF