[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 10xArc

Tesla List wrote:

> >From huffman-at-fnal.govMon Sep 30 22:36:53 1996
> Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 14:02:53 -0500
> From: huffman <huffman-at-fnal.gov>
> To: List Tesla <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: 10xArc
>
>     [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]
>     [Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set]
>     [Some characters may be displayed incorrectly]
>
> Richard H,
> Just got the xerox of maggey #11-E shooting arcs all over the place. Do you
> ever need a visit from the fire department or a fire extinguisher? Most of
> the arcs seem to be ending on the sideing of your house.
> You state that the #30 wire rises to 150 deg F. How long does that take?
> Dave

Dave,

The coil is often run in 3 separate runs of a little over 2 minutes each.
 Each run follows close on the heels of the prior run (1 minute off
time).  I would say that over a 10 minute period we might put on a total
of 6 minutes on time at from 5-7KW.  After the last run, it is normal for
us to check for fires, damage, discharge the caps in the equidrive
circuit and finally check the coil out.  It is at this time that the
tempearture is taken of the resonator.

I am afaid the wire is a shambles on the coil.  (all ruffled and
distorted now through constant expansion and contraction).  We still run
it though, and it does great!  I don't normally coat or bast my coils
with protective glop, especially of late.

I have never had the fire company over for a visit.  I have set numerous
fires in the past though.  Most are recorded on tape and scattered
throughout our video reports.  I have set both parts of my home and the
lab on fire at different times.  Most all were due to Nemesis running
near 12KW.   I have a huge CO2 fire etinguisher on hand along with 3
normal size CO2 units  I have, in addition, 2 halide extinguishers and 3
dry chem jobs.  Can't be too careful around high power stuff.

Glad you enjoyed the Xerox of the latest work.

Richard Hull, TCBOR