[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

dwell time of 600uS! Whooooeeeeeee.

... snip

Turns out that I screwed up my math a bit, and discovered (to my horror)
that my current gap has a dwell time of 600uS! Whooooeeeeeee. 1800-RPM
with 3/8" electrodes on a 6" diameter. Yuck. I plan to spend this
weekend re-fitting the gap with 1/8" solid-tungsten rods, and putting
a 3600-RPM motor on it. This will get me down to about 130uS or so.
Makes me wonder how Richard H. can get the dwell down near 10uS...gotta
be using counter-rotating disks or something.)

- Brent

Brent,

I have a motor what will do 15,000 RPM.  I got it from an old washing
machine.  When running the motor sounds like a jet engine.

Ive made is simple spark gap with it which works reasonably well (63uS
calculated dwell time).

The electrodes are made from mild steel which is very quickly burnt away
when the gap is used.   Sorry I don't have any more info on performance
at the moment as I am living in rented accomodation while my house is
re-built.   At present I am confined to running my coil on the coffee
table when my wife is out.  The cat hates it!

Should be back on line in 6 weeks

Julian Green