[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Multiphase Tank Circuits

Tesla List wrote:

> > Subject: Multiphase Tank Circuits
>
> >From hullr-at-whitlock-dot-comMon Sep 30 22:21:12 1996
> Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 13:39:44 -0700
> From: Richard Hull <hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Multiphase Tank Circuits
>
> Tesla List wrote:
> >
> > >From richard.quick-at-slug-dot-orgSun Sep 29 22:01:03 1996
> > Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 20:43:00 GMT
> > From: Richard Quick <richard.quick-at-slug-dot-org>
> > To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> > Subject: Multiphase Tank Circuits
> >
> > If any of you have been following my rather tedious post as of
> > late regarding the new power supply, I wanted to drop in a
> > comment, and perhaps get some feedback on the possibility of
> > three
> > phase tank circuit inputs.
> >
> > For those with the publication below I will refer to the text on
> > pp. 59 - 61 and figure 38 shown on page 60:
> >
> > _ NIKOLA TESLA ON HIS WORK WITH ALTERNATING CURRENTS
> > AND THEIR APPLICATION TO WIRELESS TELEGRAPHY, TELEPHONY,
> > AND TRANSMISSION OF POWER_
> > N. Tesla, edited by Leland I. Anderson, published in 1992 by Sun
> > Publishing, Div. of Boyle & Anderson, Denver, CO., 80219. Library
> > of Congress Catalog #92-60482, ISBN 0-9632652-0-2, paper 237pp;
> >
> > The referenced diagram and the associated text refer to Tesla's
> > use of multi-phase inputs.
> >
> > >From my understanding of the information provided, it appears
> > Tesla was using a synchronous break with three stationary
> > electrodes driven directly from the shaft of the generator. In
> > the text he refers to similar arrangements using up to eight
> > phase
> > inputs.
> >

> > A couple of years ago, before I married and bought this house, I
> > had an architect draw and estimate a commercial building with 20
> > foot ceilings, sunken "grease pit" type depression in the center
> > of the floor, and 3 phase 480 volt power supply. The total cost
> > for the bare bones structure was about what I paid on my house
> > (~$95K). It is not inconceivable that I may build this structure
> > sometime in the more distant future.
> >
> > Richard Quick
> >
> > ... If all else fails... Throw another megavolt across it!
>
> Richard,
>
> You are right about Tesla's ideas, and polyphase power is the way to go
> if you must get the most out of AC. You could actually build or purchse a
> modest 3 phase MG set which would run off a 220 volt single phase motor!
>  The alternator need be the oly three phase item.  I have though of this
> as a very doable stunt and the only way to get quiet 3 phase power in a
> residential neighborhood.
>
> Before I would do this though, I would go to DC power. 100% available
> power 100% of the time, regardless of gap conciderations!  This is the
> number one best power for any Tesla coil system!!!  It would take a bit
> of doing in rectifing and filtering the HV to produce real power.  Greg
> Leyh did it in his system and it works nicely.

> [...]

Richard(s),

The three-phase approach should permit "multiplexing" the primary
capacitors so that each only sees 1/3 of the duty cycle, and 3 times the
power could be produced with only a change to the sparkgap design.
Although a similar multiplexing approach could be done with a stiff DC
source, separate (large) charging chokes would be still be required for
each cap. Previous posts seemed to indicate that output sparklength for
2-coil systems seems to "level off" after about 400 PPS. With a 3-phase
system perking at 1200 PPS, three times the power should be transferring
efficiently to the secondary - this should make the sparks hotter, and
one would think, longer as well(?)...

-- Bert --