[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary Qs

Greg,
      Thankyou for this info....

> > Q does trend up with increased gap current showing a drop in gap
> > resistance. It would be useful to get readings for much higher
> > voltages but the supply and caps on hand wouldn't allow it.
>
> This observation would agree with the data from 'Gaseous Conductors',
> where the author noted that the current *density* in an arc remains
> relatively constant as the gap current is varied.  This would mean
> that if the gap current were doubled, then the arc cross-section
> would roughly double, cutting the resistance by half.

     I wonder if the current density then relates to the number of
potential current carriers (npi) present (e.g. gas molecules) in a
given cross-sectional area? I wonder if your pressurized gap at 3 atm
(?) would allow a much higher current density than we get at normal
air pressure? Also, would blowing compressed air through the gap have
a similar effect? If this were true, it would seem that pressurized
gaps are more efficient than normal air pressure. What do you think?
Anybody measured this?

Malcolm
<snip> point noted thanks. For the normal configuration of spark gap
in my new machine I'm looking at using about 200uH primary with 50nF
at 20kV peak. Those CP caps are looking wonderful right now. Thanks
to Scott for organizing the purchase of them.