[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Arc length vs pwrRe: Arc length vs pwr

----------
From: 	Tesla List[SMTP:tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com]
Sent: 	Thursday, October 03, 1996 12:24 AM
To: 	Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	RE: Arc length vs pwrRe: Arc length vs pwr

>From couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-netWed Oct  2 22:53:33 1996
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 21:55:59 +0000
From: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: RE: Arc length vs pwrRe: Arc length vs pwr

>From gowin-at-epic-1.nwscc.sea06.navy.milTue Oct  1 21:46:43 1996
>Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 08:17:53 -0000
>From: Dan Gowin <gowin-at-epic-1.nwscc.sea06.navy.mil>
>To: "'tesla-at-pupman-dot-com'" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>Subject: RE: Arc length vs pwr

>From: 	Tesla List[SMTP:tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com]
>Sent: 	Saturday, September 28, 1996 5:25 PM
>To: 	Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
>Subject: 	Re: Arc length vs pwr
>
>>From couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-netSat Sep 28 14:51:15 1996
>Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 17:22:14 +0000
>From: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Arc length vs pwr

       <big snip>

>Dan -

The spark length data represents a typical Tesla coil. Your coil is not the
typical
coil that is represented by the graph. As I mentioned above the spark length
can be
increased by increasing the inductance of the secondary coil which you have
done.
There are many other possibilities.

The spark length (output) of a Tesla coil is represented by the equation
    Output = Input - Losses  All units in energy
Your coil is obviously well built and has less losses than the typical coil.
Most of the losses are in the primary spark gap, primary capacitor, and
secondary
coil windings. The resistance of the primary wiring and connections also can
cause
more than average losses. Homemade primary capacitors can cause big losses.

Your coil is 1000 watts and gives a 2.5 foot spark. This is a rating of
1000/2.5 ft = 400 watts per foot of spark. The typical coil rating for this
size coil
is 1000/1.7 ft = 588 watts per foot of spark. This rating system offers a
convenient
method to indicate the overall efficiency of Tesla coils. For example, a
graph is
shown in the Tesla Coil Notebook for Percent Efficiency vs Watts per foot of
Spark.
The graph shows about 50% efficiency for your coil compared to about 32% for a
typical coil of this wattage..

 There are several ways the efficiency of Tesla coils can be represented but
this
method has the advantage that differences in both losses and improvements
for the
same wattage are taken into account.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Jack Couture

Mr. Couture,
	I have reviewed my notes and was able to get 10 minutes worth of sparc out of my current
commercial capacitor bank. My sustained sparc length still stands at 30". I still have a hard time
believing my current system has a 50% efficiency rating. The laws of physics have been broken
here some how.
	I have conducted some careful measurements on my equipement and all of the
values I've mentioned before are correct, with two exceptions. My neon transformer pulls 14 Amps,
not 9.9, and my capacitor banks rating falls off dramatically when its hot. This last bit of information
I'm not surprised about.
	I've just recently completed a stacked plate polyethylene capacitor bank, to replace my
current bank. But with the added prospects about how ineffecient home grown capacitors could
be, maybe I'll be disappointed.

D. Gowin
  [Part 2, Application/MS-TNEF  4.4KB]
  [Unable to print this part]