[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: 50%

>Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 22:26:02 -0700
>From: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>

>From MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nzWed Oct 30 21:56:15 1996
>Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 13:10:55 +1200
>From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: RE: 50%

   [ snip ]

>     If the circuit settles down to a steady state (no oscillation),
>50% of the energy is indeed lost, but charge is indeed conserved.
>Elaborating: E=0.5CV^2  You can see that a cap at half its original
>voltage has only 1/4 of its original energy. Two identical caps at
>half the original voltage of one has still only half the original
>energy.
>     BUT, since Q=CV, you can see that if you double C and halve V,
>Q (charge) remains conserved.
>
>Malcolm

   Well, I am a firm believer in the law of Conservation of Mass and
   Energy.   Pure capacitors do not use energy.  One capacitor
   discharging through a perfect conductor in a totally isolated
   environment. Where did it go?  EM radiation?  The magnetic field
   around the conductors rises and collapses.  Energy in, energy out.
   YOu CANNOT destroy it, so where the heck did it go?  Isn't there
   something terribly wrong with our thinking here somewhere?

 Fred W. Bach ,    Operations Group        | Internet: music-at-triumf.ca
 TRIUMF (TRI-University Meson Facility)    | Voice:  604-222-1047 loc 6327/7333
 4004 WESBROOK MALL, UBC CAMPUS            | FAX:    604-222-1074
 University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B.C., CANADA   V6T 2A3
 "Accuracy is important. Details can mean the difference between life & death."
 These are my opinions, which should ONLY make you read, think, and question.
 They do NOT necessarily reflect the views of my employer or fellow workers.