[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: spark gaps

>>From hullr-at-whitlock-dot-comWed Oct 23 21:50:15 1996
>Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 11:00:19 -0700
>From: Richard Hull <hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: spark gaps

>Tesla List wrote:
>
>> >From rwstephens-at-ptbo.igs-dot-netTue Oct 22 21:44:46 1996
>> Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 22:04:58 -0500
>> From: "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-ptbo.igs-dot-net>
>> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>> Subject: Re: spark gaps

>> >Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 03:25:49 GMT
>> >From: Jim Fosse <jim.fosse-at-bdt-dot-com>
>> >To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>> >Subject: Re: spark gaps

>> >MIke,
>> >       With either pressure or vacuum quenched gaps using blowers,
>> >only a few psi difference in air pressure will results. So, there
>> >should be only a slight difference in function. Now if you were to use
>> >a high pressure air source to blow out the arc, there will be a
>> >significant air pressure increase which will change the arc's
>> >characteristics and effect it's functioning.
>>
>> >       jim
>>
>> All,
>>
>> I've been meaning to share my thoughts on the use of a vacuum cleaner
>> blower to negatively pressurize a fixed gap spark gap container and
>> draw outside air through the gaps and then after electro-treating the
>> nitrogen in the air into nitric acid and the oxygen onto ozone, this
>> nasty stuff gets sucked through the windings of the blower motor,
>> since vacuum cleaner blower motors are designed that the air sucked by them
>> passes over and through the motor windings for cooling.  Has anyone ever
>> heard of the concept that ozone attacks electric motor insulation and shortens
>> motor life?  Somehow this design concept appears flawed to me.
>>
>> rwstephens

>Robert,
>
>I have used the "Vacuum Quencher" idea for years now and my blower is
>still doin' great inspite of the, often, rather humid air here.  If NOx
>or ozone were a problem I would think this would be the town to test that
>theory in!  Even if this had a very negative effect on the system,
>surplus blowers are cheap!  Being of the, " I'll never see that one
>again" mentallity, I always buy a spare of any major component in a
>system when I buy the original.  This is just incase a failure mode is
>experienced.

>The original concept hit me in 1989 when I thought that the air would
>never be any colder or purer that if it was immediately sucked  over the
>gaps from still otuside air.

>Richard Hull, TCBOR

Richard,

Yeah, OK, blowers are cheap (although not where I live), and I too attempt to
acquire seconds and thirds as spares for projects when I know I'll never see them
again surplus.

For example, I recently paid 500 bucks apiece for four, Seimens, 2 HP,
3-phase, high speed, high volume, high pressure turbine blowers which I consider
essential for my proposed large coil project for cooling and quenching the rotary
break contacts.  I found these surplus and have _never_ run across anything
like them before, and thought I never would again.

I recognize that in total system designs one often trades off costs for benefits
in other areas.  In this case you have traded a bit of motor life for a performance
benefit.  That's fine.  But what I said is  _still true_!

regards,
rwstephens