[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arc length vs pwr

Tesla List wrote:

> >> Subject: Re: Arc length vs pwr
>
> >From couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-netWed Oct 23 22:15:34 1996
> Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 18:43:43 +0000
> From: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Arc length vs pwr
>
> At 04:25 AM 10/23/96 +0000, you wrote:
> >> Subject: Re: Arc length vs pwr
> >
> >From hullr-at-whitlock-dot-comTue Oct 22 21:32:09 1996
> >Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 09:42:38 -0700
> >From: Richard Hull <hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com>
> >To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> >Subject: Re: Arc length vs pwr

> >> Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 22:27:50 +0000
> >> From: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
> >> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> >> Subject: Re: Arc length vs pwr
> >>

> >Jack,
> >
> >The reamining charge on a tesla coilis purely electrostatic in nature and
> >relates to the ion charging effect of the Tesla coil. (and a number of
> >more subtle influences)
> >
> >The Tesla coil is a charge pump, and sourcer of electrons.  A large
> >number of experiments over the years here in Richmond have shown this to
> >be the case for sure.  We have used electrometers to verify the charge
> >type and quantity of charge transfered over a number of ranges.
> >
> >The Tesla coil, whether AC powered or DC powered, is about as
> >electrostatic in nature as it is electrodynamic!  Modes of operation can
> >be selected which favor the various forms of output by experienced hands.
> >
> >We have powered DC Electrostatic motors and even large capacitor motors
> >(200gram rotor) by collecting the DC charge from a running 15 watt AC
> >powered Tesla coil.  The collected charge is pure DC electrostatic
> >potential and no rectification of the normal form is taking place.  i.e.
> >No thermionic or field emission (mean free path is virtually zero for
> >electrons in air.)  We are collecting power from as far away as 1 meter.
> >
> >Richard Hull, TCBOR
> >

> Richard -
>
> Did your electrometer show an unusually high charge that was left on the
> toroid after it was shut down, say about 200 KV on a small coil? In my TCC
> Guide I show how this could be checked without discharging the toroid but
> your electrometer method would be better. How did you calibrate the
> electrometer to read the high voltages at a distance? I have never done this
> but I understand that others have.
>
> Jack C.

Jack,

We have two separate electrostatic voltmeters used for what you suggest
and in no case during our studies was there ever a measurable charge
remaining on the Tesla coil's discharge terminal, itself.  This is due to
the fact that it is directly connected to ground via the secondary helix.
 All of the charge is held in the dielectric of the secondary and not the
metallic components.  This is the case in all capacitors.  The plates can
never store charge!..  Only conduct it to a point where work can be done
electrodynamically.

It is very easy to measure charge at a great distance with an
electrometer using an isolated isotropic capacitance.  This is how
electric field strengths are effectively measured.  The crucial point is
that the meter must read only the scalar value of voltage.  This is
achieved through the nominal Teraohm input impedance of the avearge
professional electrometer. I have an old Cary vibrating reed electrometer
with saphire input terminals and gold chambers, and have charged a 20pf
vacuum capacitor to 300 volts and left it for two days and the thing
still read 300 volts!  The 100% mechanical electrostatic voltmeters are
only about 1/100th as sensitive as an electrometer, but still they are
about 1000 times more sensitive than a good precision FET VOM or FET
digital input meter.

Richard Hull, TCBOR