[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Spice simulation pictures

Tesla List wrote:

> >From sgreiner-at-mail.wwnet-dot-comWed Oct 16 22:25:47 1996
> Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 14:51:06 -0700
> From: Skip Greiner <sgreiner-at-mail.wwnet-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Spice simulation pictures
>
> Tesla List wrote:
> >Another "mother of all snips!!"
> >
> > Skip,
> >
> > Once again, take a coil, any coil, with or without terminal capacitance.
> >  Ground the base.  Shock excite it.  It will with out fail resonate at
> > its natural 1/4 wave frequency.
>
> IS this frequency the quarter wave of the wire length or what?
>
>   No tuning is required with terminal or
> > anything!  It is unavoidable and impossible for the resonator system to
> > due otherwise!  Also the maximum voltage point will always be at the top
> > of the system, provided that you are not dragging the system to another
> > frequency by forcing in huge amounts of mistuned, coupled energy via a
> > magnetic or direct coupled source.  If the shock excitement is tuned to
> > the same frequency as the resonator, then we are really cookin'.
> >
> > The addition of a toroid is never, ever needed to TUNE a resonator,
> > unless the primary tap and input capacitor are cast into an epoxy block
> > and will forever remain invariant.  The addition of a terminal will
> > always detune or change the RESONAOTR SYSTEM'S natural period of
> > oscillation.  A complete Tesla coil system can be tuned by varying any
> > ONE of the following, provided all the other components are set in stone
> > and are forever invariant.
> >
> > 1. Change the input capacitor,
> > 2. Change the primary inductance,
> > 3. Change the resonator coil in any way,
> > 4. Change the terminal capacitance.
> >
> > Under no circustances will a quarter wave transmission line with a coil
> > in it, anywhere, ever equal a wire path length of 1/4 wavelength.  Only a
> > rigid piece of straight conductor floating in the vacuum of outer space
> > has any chance of approaching this value.
> >
> > Richard Hull, TCBOR
>
> Richard and All
>
> Thanks Richard. I accept what you say except as noted above.
> I don't wish to belabor this and I will shut up after this
> comment/question.
>
> I have been unable to excite any coil in any fashion and cause it to
> resonate at a frequency equal to the 1/4 wave length frequency of the
> wire of which it is wound. If anyone has I would appreciate hearing the
> dimensions of the device.
>
> Skip

Skip,

There will never, in the history of the universe, be a length of wire
which corresponds to the 1/4 wavelength frequency, based on the free
space velocity of light which when wound into a helix, will oscillate at
the advertised frequency!  It just can't happen!

 The velocity of light in the wire changes (slows down, if you can
believe that) and tracks all of the other parameters associated with
geometry, internal capacitance, loading, etc.  This, we are told, by
theory, is why the simple equation originally given us fails miserably in
a coil.  Actually, the theoretical types will say that it is still valid,
but the speed of light is now some unknown value which is readily
calculable with a million parameters to which you are no longer privy!!!

Wind it, load it, and characterize it... with a generator and a scope.
Finally, only after the real work is done, back figure the supposed new
velocity of light using the actual length of wire you used the
measured frequency and the original simple formula.  It can all be turned
inside out like a stinkin' glove!!  This, the theoreticals call the
"self-consistency of science", and the triumph of man over his
environment!

  Even the half-witted can see that the velocity of light is a crap shoot
anywhere in the universe based on this piece of logic.  The invariant has
become the highly variant.  Inshort, life ain't simple--- Simple
equations ain't simple.  A fuller understanding of the human mind through
dinkin' around is a must!

Most of the good stuff we have discovered thus far is based on the doin'
and then the back figuring of the math to match only the most ideally
controlled of real world situations.  The calculus allowed a lot of stuff
to shift about a bit.  There comes a point where multiple order solutions
become so complicated that shifting values and many iterations are
required to figure, accurately, the outcome, and leave all but the
supercomputers wanting.

Richard Hull, TCBOR