[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Spice simulation pictures

Tesla List wrote:

> >From lod-at-pacbell-dot-netWed Oct 16 22:03:07 1996
> Date: Sun, 15 Oct 1995 21:11:13 +0000
> From: GE Leyh <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Spice simulation pictures
>
> Richard Hull wrote:
>
> > Once again, take a coil, any coil, with or without terminal capacitance.
> >  Ground the base.  Shock excite it.  It will with out fail resonate at
> > its natural 1/4 wave frequency.
>
> By 1/4 wave frequency, do you mean the freq whose quarter wavelength is the
> same length as the wire in the secondary (assuming Vpropagation << Vlight)?
>
> -GL

Greg,

If the coil is unloaded, yes.  Actually even with a load this velocity
will further plunge, thus lower the frequency even more for a fixed wire
length.  The wire length is rather irrelevant compared to all the other
parameters which really control the speed of light in the wire. (load,
spacing of wire and insulation types, coil geometry, etc)  But I never
consider the coil as more than just one part of the RESONATOR SYSTEM.

As I use only magnifier systems now, the two coil arangement is relegated
to nothing more than the driver.  Therefore, the full combination of
items contributing to the final resonant frequency in the RESONATOR
SYSTEM is of prime concern to me.  The wire, the propagation of of the
wave or current through the wire and its relation to light speed is of no
concern whatsoever. (Other than in theory of course.)

Any coil with or without a load,  space wound, insulated or not, will
have a natural resoanant frequency which, if when the base is grounded
and shock excited with a single ping of energy, magnetically or directly
coupled, will want to ring up at its quarter wavelength value.  This
value is self-erecting based on far more than any function of wire
length!  This natural 1/4 wave excitation may or may not result in any
efficiency at all, but it will naturally occur!  Timing , tuning and
proper application of this energy will improve the performance over just
a single short burst of wideband energy.

Richard Hull, TCBOR