[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Gap Dwell Times (formerly: Beating Solved)

Tesla List wrote:

> >From rwstephens-at-ptbo.igs-dot-netWed Oct 16 22:19:05 1996
> Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 22:26:43 -0500
> From: "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-ptbo.igs-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Gap Dwell Times (formerly: Beating Solved)
>
> >>From ed-at-alumni.caltech.eduMon Oct 14 21:25:55 1996
> >Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 19:17:42 -0700 (PDT)
> >From: "Edward V. Phillips" <ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu>
> >To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> >Subject: Re: Gap Dwell Times (formerly: Beating Solved)
>
> >Re: Oil and Coils
> >       I, too, have read Tesla's remarks on his oil-immersed
> >system.  Also, several years ago TCBA News had an old article
> >(circa 1910?) on an insulation-testing coil setup built by
> >GE, which involved a pretty big coil immersed in oil. I gather
> >you didn't immerse the whole works (primary and secondary) in
> >a single tank?????   A piece of 12"+ PVC pipe a few feet high
> >would hold a lot of oil, and might be an interesting way to
> >go.
> >Ed
>
> Ed,
>
> If vous est addressing moi, yeah, I placed the entire two coil system
> into the 200 gallon tank and bathed with oil.  My coil is horizontal.
> What you suggest sounds like a practical solution to pri-sec
> flashover problems as coupling is increased to 0.2 and higher in a
> vertically oriented classical system.  I cannot help but think that
> where your idea would be best applied would be in the L1-L2 coil
> system of a magnifier where extremely high K's are desired.  I see
> the need for and use of plastic sheeting coiled up here to help.
> Richard Hull, what say you?  Tight coupled maggy driver application.
> Oil or no?
>
> Regards,
> rwstephens

Robert, All,

I could not ever forsee a reason to soak a coil in oil, EXCEPT for a
magnifier driver!  This would reduce the space requirement considerably,
but would be a messy and expensive project.  It would probably be best
for a very small system.  If I were doing a portable, table-top maggey, I
might consider a tanked driver.

Richard Hull, TCBOR