[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

1st Motorized Spark Gap!

OK, heres the deal:
This weekend I'm going to finnish my first motorized rotary spark gap.
I'm using a centrifuge motor controlled by a light dimmer switch (very cheap, very fast).
 I have these dumb questions:

1)  I have a computer program RotJit which says a large disk with lots of
bolts in it would be better than a small disk. What sizes (diameter) are
most of your spark gaps? Whats the largest diameter I should use? Would
an 8 or 10 inch diameter disk wobble too much? I have no machine tools,
so the tolerances won't be exact!

2) Is there a certain speed-range that most of you find works best? I
realize that speed probably affects tuning, but what would be considered
to slow or to fast?

3) Has anyone thought about magnatizing the bolts on the plastic disk
along with the stationary bolts so as to help quench the spark? Did /
could it work?

4) Can the arc from a moterized gap hurt your eyes? I'm only using two
neon sign transformers at 9KV. I always thought this was just for arc
welders but I've been told differently and have been very carefull.

5) Anyone have any good advice/warnings for a first time motorized gap
builder  ;-)

  I have lots of books on how-to, but have only talked to one person
 with practical experiance.