[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tank frequency

Tesla List wrote:

> >From lod-at-pacbell-dot-netWed Oct  9 22:55:37 1996
> Date: Mon, 09 Oct 1995 20:03:58 +0000
> From: GE Leyh <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Tank frequency
>
> David F wrote:
>
> > In a neon
> > xformer driven tesla circuit (primary), however, I understand that the
> > inductance of the neon supply xformer (its secondary winding) has a much
> > greater impact on the tank circuits frequency of occilation than the
> > relatively measily inductance of the tesla primary coil.  Any comments?
>
> It wouldn't seem likely that the neon xfmr would noticably affect Fpri,
> as the L of the neon xfmr is much, much higher than that of the pri coil.
> Remember that L's in parallel add just like R's in parallel.
> Besides, those fine strands in the neon sec probably could not support
> the reactive currents of the pri ckt.
>
> -GL

Dave,

Also, when the gap fires, it "shorts out" the neon's output, effectively
taking the neon's inductance out of the picture for primary power
oscillations. Once the gap opens, the primary no longer has any impact
on what the secondary is doing - the secondary merely rings down at its
natural frequency.

The neon's inductance can play a big part in boosting performance if it
resonates with the tank cap at around 60 Hz due to more rapid
recharging of the tank capacitor. However, the resulting higher voltage
swings and currents WILL smoke tank caps or neons if you open the
shunting gaps too wide...

Safe coilin' and welcome aboard to ya' Dave!

-- Bert --