[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Home brew capacitor

[big snip]

>> |Ouch! I've got my plate cap in a perspex container. So far it seems
>> |OK with transformer oil but I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for the
>> |warning.
>> |
>> |Malcolm
>> |
>> |PS - Welcome back Ian.

Wild Bill Emery, here in Dallas, Texas, has had a flat plate capacitor in
mineral oil for 7 or 8 years with no problems.  The plexiglass has held up
perfectly.  Unless you are using some kind of weird oil, I don't see acrylic
as a problem.

I would like to comment on using silicone sealants with oil: don't.  I just
made a real mess trying to use GE silicone sealant to glue a bottom onto a
piece of pvc pipe.  It lasted less than 24 hours!  I cleaned up the mess and
redid it with J.B. Weld brand epoxy.  This stuff is great!

Bert Pool
nikki-at-fastlane-dot-net