[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Gap Dwell Times (formerly: Beating S

There was (maybe still is?) an experiment at the University of Maryland
called the Dragon that used a single pulse Tesla coil (3 megavolt in oil)
for its power source.  The designer was Alex Shipman.  He wrote an
article about the design.  In the article he performed calculations
to optimize coupling for maximum energy transfer in minimum
number of cycles.  He found that if the coupling were adjusted
just right then all of the energy from the primary could be
transfered to the secondary in less than three cycles.