[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arc length vs pwr

Hi all,

<lotsa snip>
> >The coupling or K factor is only a ratio of mutual inductance divided
> >by
> >sqrt LpLs.
> >The ratio indicates the amount of energy transferred. Coupling does
> >not
> >create or consume energy. Creation or consumption of energy is only in
> >the
> >primary or secondary circuits.
> >
> >Jack C.
> >Jack,
>
>  That point is understood, I was talking about what the
> effect to the primary is during its energy release if it
> is loosely coupled to a secondary coil, or any other load
> for that matter. I guess my thought was any energy that
> wasn't transferred to the seconday coil would be returned
> to the capacitor during the collapse of the primary field. I would think
> that a ringing primary too loosely
> coupled to a load or not coupled at all to a load, namely
> a secondary coil would exhibit extremely high peak voltages and
> distruction of the capacitor would be ultimately unavoidable.

>             Mark Graalman

Well that happens on each half cycle of primary ringdown during
energy transfer to the secondary. But bearing in mind that unless
there is an external source of energy from somewhere, Vcp can not
rise higher than it initially was before the gap fired can it?
A cap with high ESR will suffer badly from running in an uncoupled
circuit as the dielectric heats and possibly hot-spots.

Malcolm