[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Induction motor conversion

Brent, Chip and All
I am addressing this to the list rather than direct to Brent because it
may be of interest to others considering conversion of an induction
motor to synchronous operation.

My 3450 rpm motor has 24 wire slots. 2 groups of 4 slots each have heavy
wire in them. The other 16 slots are split into 2 groups of 8 slots and
have finer wire in them. Per the diagrams which Brent has posted I would
assume that the active poles in this motor are the 2 groups of 4 slots
and the poles are therefore 15 degrees wide. There are no empty slots in
my motor. I therefore must mill the rotor for 2 flats which are 15
degrees wide.

I would appreciate it if you concur in my diagnosis and thank you for
the very definitive note and sketches on funet.

Skip