[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arc length vs pwr

Tesla List wrote:

> >From huffman-at-fnal.govFri Oct 18 22:20:47 1996
> Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 10:25:14 -0500
> From: huffman <huffman-at-fnal.gov>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Arc length vs pwr
>
>     [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]
>     [Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set]
>     [Some characters may be displayed incorrectly]
>
> snip
> Hi Bert, All,
> I agree with what you say if things were ideal. If, however, the Qp is in
> the range of 10 or so then we lose quite a bit on each cycle, probably
> half. It might therefore be beneficial to quench early and save some for
> the next push. At some point we can't put much into ringing the primary and
> time might be better spent on recharging Cp for the next bout.
>
> Looking forward to a display in the dark.
> Dave

Dave,

Certainly the first few half-cycle transfers account for major portion
of energy transfer to the secondary for a reasonably good value of k.
However, even the remaining half-cycles in the first beat will
contribute until the primary tank runs dry. This is independent of
Primary Q. If we leave energy in the primary that we COULD have
transferred to the secondary, we will have reduced the secondary output
from the maximum achievable in the system, and actually made quenching
somewhat more difficult. Any energy we might save comes from what could
have gone to the secondary. The only benefit might be reduced recharge
current from the 60 Hz power source.

>From a practical standpoint:
For the reason you site, quenching somewhat early does not cause a
dramatic falloff in secondary output. This is a _different_ result than
the graph by the Corums in their Vacuum Tesla Coil book.  We don't seem
to rapidly "fall off the cliff" for shorter-than-ideal quenchtimes. If
true, this is GOOD news! Precise quenchtimes may not be necessary to get
good coil performance. You can actually have dwells significantly above
or below the ideal, and still get excellent (>80% of max) output.

Safe coilin' to ya, Dave!

-- Bert --