[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: BTC3 Type coil

Stephen,
            I think you are experiencing resonant charging - several
mains cycles to build energy up in the caps to the point where the
gap will fire at your settings. You are probably firing at a much
higher voltage than the variac setting would suggest. This is one
reason I don't like neons much. BTW, paralleling several neons should
reduce this effect and make things much more manageable. This is
because paralleled inductances cause a significant reduction in
overall circuit inductance (same equation as caps in series).

Malcolm
<snip>