[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotary Gap Electrodes - A first-hand experience

Brent, Robert,
               Interesting things mentioned here. Robert invited a
comment and being me, I'd like to offer one for what it's worth.

<big snip>
> As a point of interest, prior to going tungsten carbide on the
> stationary electrodes they were grade 8 steel bolts.  The heads often
> went incandescent and then the blower would cause then to emit a
> shower of tiny globules of burning metal, just like from a cutting
> torch going through steel.  This happened even with the same blower
> running.  I wonder if, with the steel electrodes, once a certain tip
> surface temperature was reached steel started to shed a cloud of
> metal ions, which in turn started the power arc phenomenon, which in
> turn caused more heating at the surface, which caused more
> evaporation, etc., resulting in a runaway condition.  On the other
> hand, at the same tip surface temperature that broke down the steel, the
> tungsten carbide's surface remains stable and does not emit anything
> to feed a runaway chain reaction?  Anyone wish to comment on this
> hypothesis, or share a similar experience?

     I think two things that seriously affect operation happen with
that degree of electrode heating. (1) The gap fires prematurely (ions
already hangin' around, lower firing voltage, lower firing energy) and
(2) gap conducts for too long leaving the transformer less time to do
its job.

Regards,
Malcolm

regards, > rwstephens