[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More capaciter Questions

I love it -- I can reply before the message is sent!

1.  Seeing that I am on a teachers budget :-< I am planning on building
my own Caps and was wondering, is there any advantage to building a
stacked vs a rolled cap?  I have the plans for the rolled (ala R.Quick.)
 but It seems that the stacked would be easier seeing that the rolling
process is said to be tricky.
<<<<
I strongly advocate the rolled caps.  I built a stacked cap and had less
than optimal results. I built it horizontal instead of vertical, but the
flashover problems that I had would have happened regardless of the
orientation. (My own design flaws most likely.)

I have never had any trouble with my rolled cap.

2.  Is there anything cheaper than plexiglass to insulate the primary
from a wood base?
<<<<
cardboard?  PVC pipe with notches cut in it?  Wood?  A garage sale large
plastic salad bowl?  If you are interested in cheap, then you have to get
creative and scrounge.  Go to the hardware store and browse!

5.  What length of sparks can I expect assuming very poor effeciency?
<<<<
With a minimum of effort, you should be able to get sparks of zero length.
:-)  My first coil had an 18ga flat primary.  I never really got
streamers, and only could spark to a grounded object.  The second coil I
made had no spark whatsoever.  The third coil I made had 11" sparks, and
my current and fourth coil produced measured sparks of 50" from a bank of
neon sign transformers.

6.  There is going to be a hamfest in Tampa FL which I am planning on
attending and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for things to
look out for that I will really need in the future?
<<<<
Check out "http://www.mindspring-dot-com/~jjweinb/arworld/hamfest.html"

chip

 Chip Atkinson
 http://bhs.broo.k12.wv.us/homepage/chip/info.htm
 --- Everyone is someone else's weirdo. ---