[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Static Gap Stains

At 10:25 PM 10/17/96 -0600, you wrote:
>>From tesla-at-america-dot-comThu Oct 17 21:27:01 1996
>Date: Thu, 17 Oct 96 07:59 EDT
>From: Bob Schumann <tesla-at-america-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Static Gap Stains
>
>Hello all,
>
>        I built the cylindrical static gap (Richard Quick type)
>and have a question if anybody else has seen this happen to
>their gap. I followed Richard's instructions almost to a tee
>but I could never bring myself to permanently glue the copper
>electrodes in place. I have access to a polishing wheel that
>puts a mirror shine on them. When it is time to clean the gap,
>I remove all the electrodes and polish them. I have to go
>through the re-gap and alignment routine each time but I just
>can't get myself to touch sandpaper to them. Anyway...with
>the electrodes out, I notice vertical brown stains on the green
>SDR35 PVC innerwall between where every electrode (gap)was.
>
>Even though I have not scrubbed at the PVC because the stains
>are harmless, they will not merely wipe off.
>I am just curious what does this. Is it the x-rays or UV from
>the spark possisbly that affects the PVC? Such as the PVC
>gets a 'sunburn'? Of course this is of no operating consequence
>as the gap works as well as ever, I just wondered what did it.
>
>Comment welcomed!
>Thanks
>Bob Schumann

Bob,

What you are seeing is vaporized copper that has condensed on the PVC
walls. Eventually enough deposits will form to cause the gap to short out.
If you have a fan blowing thru the gap it will help but the deposits are
going to form anyway.

At first I didn't epoxy down my electrodes either. But I got tired of the
spacing changing on me all the time. So I took it all apart and sanded away
the copper deposits on the PVC wall and epoxied the electrodes down. My
spacing hasn't changed since. I occassionally clean up the elctrodes with
some 600 sandpaper. No problem.

If you do decide to epoxy down yor electrodes look for some good strong epoxy.
A couple of types of typical hobby type epoxy that I tried would soften
when subjected to heat.
Mike Hammer
mhammer-at-midwest-dot-net