[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor construction

Tesla List wrote:

> >From wb8jkr-at-juno-dot-comThu Oct 17 21:27:12 1996
> Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 05:49:46 EDT
> From: Mark S Graalman <wb8jkr-at-juno-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Capacitor construction
>
> On Wed, 16 Oct 1996 23:05:23 -0600 Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> writes:
> >>From mhammer-at-midwest-dot-netWed Oct 16 23:01:34 1996
> >Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 19:39:13 -0500 (CDT)
> >From: Mike Hammer <mhammer-at-midwest-dot-net>
> >To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> >Subject: Re: Capacitor construction

> >>Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 08:04:53 -0500
> >>From: Brad McPeak <bmcpeak-at-gte-dot-net>
> >>To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> >>Subject: Capacitor construction
> >>
> >>Hello All,
> >>I would like to get the list subscribers input on capacitor
> >construction. I
> >>have built several roll caps ala TCBOR, they work great.(Thanks
> >Richard H.)
> >>I would like to build a Vertical plate cap. One thing that escapes me
> >is how
> >>do you bond the plates to PE or otherwise keep them from sliding down
> >in a
> >>vertical Cap? I have seen it mentioned about clamping the the stack
> >>together, would this not hinder the air from escaping if tight enough
> >>keep the plates from vibrating down? I will not be able to vacuum the
> >cap
> >>down. Since hot melt glue is PE could this be run in a thin border
> >around
> >>the edge of the metal would it continue to hold the plate under oil?
> >And
> >>last would Polystyrene which is fairly rigid work better as far as
> >bonding?
> >>I believe its electrical properties are close to PE? Thanks in
> >advance.
> >>Brad McPeak
> >>E-mail bmcpeak-at-gte-dot-net
> >>McPeak Antiques
> >>http://home1.gte-dot-net/bmcpeak
> >>

>         Hi Brad,
>
>  I have two flat plate PE caps, one with 80 plates, one with 30 plates
> and they are mounted with the plates in a
> verticle configuration, I  stacked my plates and then
> clamped them between two pieces of 3/8" thick lexan
> before placing the whole assembly into the contaier of
> oil. Both of my caps are 4 years old now and are still
> working fine.
>
>                         Mark Graalman

Mark,

This is GOOD news. The chemical resistance chart from Laird Plastics
indicated that Lexan and Polyproylene might have a limited life with
Mineral Oil. Actual "hard" experience from other coilers is VERY useful
- I suspect Laird's ratings may be overly conservative. Sounds like we
mighty be able to change the "C" to a "B" for Lexan in the table
recently posted per Malcolm's request.

Safe, non-leaky, coilin' to ya!

-- Bert --