[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: oil filled resonators

On Thu, 17 Oct 1996, Tesla List wrote:

>         Thanks for this valuable information. But this is rather
> distressing. It looks as if some of the "best" plastics for our work
> are in fact the worst when it comes to oil immersion.
> >                 Typical      With
> > Common          Trade           Mineral
> > Symbol:         Name              Oil
> > =======         =========       =======
> > PP              -          C
> >    C: Moderate Attack. Limited Life
> Polypropylene scores a "C"  and Lexan!! :(
> Polyethylene scores "B"  as does PMMA :(
> Enjoy?  I think not but definitely worth knowing!
> Malcolm

I would definitely not agree with PP specs above!! I have PP caps that are
oil immersed and good after about three years..

I'd guess that it depends a LOT on the issua of what kind of a
xformer oil one uses.. Some may be more reactive than others..

Kristian Ukkonen.

| Kristian Ukkonen       |  Do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law |