[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: What efficiency?!

Tesla List wrote:

> >From rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-comTue Nov  5 22:15:47 1996
> Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 04:42:51 -0800
> From: Richard Wayne Wall <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: What efficiency?!
>
> You wrote:
>
> >> If you sparked into water contained within
> >> a chamber then the energy could be
> >> ascertained from the water temperature
> >> maybe.  The capacitive loading of the
> >> water would have to be accounted for in the
> >> coil's tuning.
> >> Barry
> >>

> >I gotta "pun out' here and say that sounds "all wet" to me!  Actually,
> >the water load would be tremendous and alter the characterisitics of
> >the system over air.  Again, I'm not trying to get overall efficiency,
> >just spark efficiency in air.
> >
> >Richard HUll, TCBOR
> >

> 11/5/96
>
> All,
>
> Actually discharging a TC into H2O is extremely dangerous.  A friend's
> father did just this and distroyed his basement lab.  To use an an old
> friends analogy, a consumptives cough is a mere capacitor explosion,
> but this experiment is an R. Hull water arc explosion.  A few orders of
> magnitude greater, no doubt.snip

> RWW

Richard,

Tesla, himself, used the phrase that "the blast from dynamite is but as a
consumptives breath compared to the discharge from a capacitor".

The water arc explosions I produce are few orders of magnitude greater
than the TC discharge in water would be.  500 joules of energy per pop in
my average water arc versus .5 joules in some Tesla coils.

Richard Hull, TCBOR