[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: need pole pig advice

Tesla List wrote:

> >From fryg-at-postoffice.ptd-dot-netTue Nov  5 22:23:20 1996
> Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 09:57:01 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Glenn D. Frey" <fryg-at-postoffice.ptd-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: need pole pig advice
>
> Hello All,
>
> Ok, I've gotten bored with the 4 neons in parallel thing, I NEED MORE POWER.
> I've taken my neons as far as I think I can with my discharges very near
> prediction given the input power.  I'm ready to step up to real discharges
> and I've finished grounding the walls and roof of my pole building for
> testing purposes.  My real question is:
>
>         what do you look for in a good pole pig, what are typical
> specifications and ratings on them. Are there things and units to avoid
> beside the obvious too big to load on a truck problem.  Input is no problem
> as I have 2 welders, stove elements for input resistance and I've saved
> postings about hooking them up.
>
>         I need another 3 months to work on the coil, caps and base frames
> but some of that is based on input current and voltage so I will need to
> soon get the pig.
>                                         thanks for the help
>                                         glenn f

Glenn,

Try and get a 5KVA pig  Cettainly no more than 10KVA.  Try to get at
least 12KV input, preferably a two bushing unit.  Obviously, a single
phase unit and not an industrial (poly-phase type)  They probaly don't
make poly phase 5 and 10KVA units on a regular basis; Certainly not at
the normal sources of supply, but be cautious.  That's all there is to
it.

Richard Hull, TCBOR