[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First coil.

Tesla List wrote:

> >From paul-at-geeky1.ebtech-dot-netMon Nov  4 21:37:17 1996
> Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 18:24:09 -0500 (EST)
> From: Paul Anderson <paul-at-geeky1.ebtech-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: First coil.
>
> I've been lurking(sorta) for awhile now, and I've decided to build my
> first coil.  How big of a coil do you guys recommend for a beginner?  I'm
> gonna figure on a where to put the RF ground tomorrow, and I plan to use
> the plans in rqdocs.zip for the coil.  Any thoughts?  TTYL!
>
> ---
> Paul Anderson
> Author of Star Spek(a tongue in cheek pun on Star trek)
> e-mail: starspek-request-at-lowdown-dot-com with subscribe as the subject
> I hear it's hilarious.
> Maintainer of the Tips-HOWTO.
> http://www-dot-netcom-dot-com/~tonyh3/speck.html

Paul,

Start very small!  use only a small neon sign transformer and about 300
watts or less.  Build your own caps, etc.  You'll have a lot of fun,
spend minimal bucks, and learn a lot.  You will have a lot of learning to
do on this first coil.  Take your time and try and understand all facets
of tuning, loading, etc.  Dink around a bit to get the feel for the
system.  From this point you can decide if you want to continue with
coils or not without having spent a lot of bucks.

Richard Hull, TCBOR