[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Glass enclosedgaps.

Tesla List wrote:

> >From daniel_hess-at-VNET.IBM.COMSun Nov 24 22:28:22 1996
> Date: Sun, 24 Nov 96 11:02:59 CST
> From: daniel_hess-at-VNET.IBM.COM
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>
> Subject:Glass enclosedgaps.
>
>  Also did experiments with a low pressure spark gap (glass tube enclosed spark
>  gap evacuated to approx. 100 mm Hg (100 torr) and found that a small Tesla
>  coil can oscillate when the input voltage is approx. 1KV.  Secondary output
>  is weak, but it works for energizing discharge tubes.
>
> Tim; I've often pondered the possibility of of using low pressure gaps
> for use as spark gaps and or safety gaps. I'm curious as to what sort of
> material was used for the electrodes? Where they commercially built or
> or homemade? The advantage seems to be that by varying the pressure, one
> could dial in the voltage at which the gaps fire, possibly on the fly.
> Given current limitations, they could be ganged up, (like resistors,)
> and tied to a common manifold so as to have identical pressure, i.e.
> firing charactoristics. Anybody have any info, ideas on this?
>
> Daniel.

Daniel,

Tim is a member of our group and his gap is on our video tapes.  The
beauty of his gap is that it can, indeed, have a fixed gap distance and
yet break down at a nice range of input voltages. (by varying pressure)
This would be incredibly nice for a small system.  This would not work
for extremely large systems though, due to the reduced pressure limiting
the number of current carriers (molecules).  This would cause the gap
resistance to go up a bit and thus Tim's original comment about reduced
performance over an air gap.  The gap electrodes themselves would have to
supply the current carrying atoms and this would increase the rate of
wear.  I would imagine that up to even 1KW, this kind gap might possess
some interesting uses.  Tim's experiments are always fascinating, well
thoughtout, beautifully executed, and a real draw at our meetings.

Richard Hull, TCBOR