[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

multi segment single laye

Hello all

I recently holidayed in Boston and I was fortunate enough to chat to
Robert Stephens in Toronto, whilst he was in the middle of his move to
Shelburne.

A couple of comments came up: he mentioned how his original stainless
steel RSG burnt away in the space of a few minutes when he was switching
caps charged from a 7kVA source. He went to tungsten and found that the
wear rate diminished to practically zero.

I can't afford to do the same to my RSG which is, by the sounds of
things, almost identical to Roberts' , but I can get some tungsten
carbide elements to face the s-s rotors and stators with.

Does anyone have some specs for bulk resistivity that they can quote for
tungsten carbide? I know there are dozens of grades, coatings etc. but
an approximate figure will do.

Secondly, we spoke about something that has been puzzling me. I draw
your attention to the front cover of the catalogue published by
Information Unlimited, Amherst, New Hampshire USA. It is run by Robert
Iannini and supplies lots of kits including at least three TCs (TC3,4
and 5) as well as various appropriate components.

The front cover shows what appears to be a good performer in the shape
of a 2 coil TC: the primary looks to be quite small in diameter, and
maybe Cu ribbon or strip etc. The interesting feature for me is that the
secondary appears to be wound in a number of sections. The photograph
(which also turns up on the front of R Iannini's book, "Build Your Own
Space Age Laser etc. etc.") shows a cylindrical secondary of typical
proportions, wound in half a dozen sections of relatively closewound
turns, each separated from the next by a couple of inches. It may be
that this is merely black tape, holding the windings in place, but I
think it is something else.

The picture isn't overly clear. What does anyone think?

Incidentally, the photo credit on older catalogues was given to someone
in Texas (first name Dan) but the latest attributes the TC to Durlin Cox
of Resonance research, Baraboo, WI.

Richard Craven
---
 CMPQwk #1.42 UNREGISTERED EVALUATION COPY