[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Book Ideas

Tesla List wrote:

> >From gowin-at-epic-1.nwscc.sea06.navy.milWed Nov  6 21:29:25 1996
> Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 13:25:05 -0500
> From: Dan Gowin <gowin-at-epic-1.nwscc.sea06.navy.mil>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Book Ideas
>
> All,
>         I've recently been experimenting with different geometric
> discharge terminals on my 4.5" Tesla coil. For those doing the same,
> get a large plexiglass and place it atop your coil. It will help
> prevent the terminal from striking back to your secondary/primary
> circuits. The disk I'm using is 3' in dia., 1/4" thick.
>
> D. Gowin

D.,

You are disappating a lot of energy in the dielectric of that plexi!!

The reason for the reduction of strikes is the creation of an
electrostatic charge plane over the entire area of the sheet.  This takes
energy!  About 3 times as much as establishing it in an air load with
proper terminal design!

Richard Hull, TCBOR