[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Magnifier system

Dan,
     I see what you're getting at now :)

> > To me the thing about transformer coupling to the base of the
> > resonator should eliminate the frequency split one normally gets with
> > DTC (over)coupling (I will be checking this soon). I think other
> > spurious resonances generated by the primary decrement alone are (a)
> > pretty insignificant in amplitude compared with the fundamental, and
> > (b) are effectively squished by the selectivity of the
> > secondary/tertiary.
> >
> > Malcolm
>
> I agree with (a) that they secondary frequency's are insignificant in
> amplitude when compared with the fundamental but I'm not so sure about
> (b). The past few weeks I've been conducting some experiments, capturing
> wave forms on my dual trace "o" scope.
>
>     My setup. First, I placed a vertical grounded rod 2 1/2 feet from
> the toriod of my coil. At 2 1/2 feet this is a consistant strike point.
>
> Note: My system uses 6 6' steel copper jacketed ground rods placed out
>       in my rain water saturated yard.
>
>     Second, I attached a 1 megaohm resister to the vertical ground. with
> two 40KV "O" probes attached to the scope. And one attached to the 1 meg
> resister and the other attached to my primary circuit respectively.
>     Last, I attached the trigger connector to the 1 meg resister using
> a resister network. And a 35mm camera attachment was placed on my old
> "o"
> scope, with a 35mm camera and autowinder. (I should receive the pictures
> back
> next week.)
>
>     The idea simply being when the Tesla coil discharges and strikes
> the ground rod it will trigger the scope and I'll get a real time image
> of what is going on. And yes, it does work. According to my eye there
> are
> some parasitic frequency's that are transfered. And some of the
> harmonics
> seam to be 180 out of phase. Understand the amplitude of these are very
> low. But one would have to wonder how much quantum efficiency was robbed
> by these little parasites?
>
> Note: I'm running my "o" scope on a APC 600 UPS that I disconnected from
>       the 120 AC circuitry in my house. There should be no parasites
> from
>       that source.
>
> (Sorry Chip for rattling on.)
>
> Another note: Should receive my coil pictures friday night. And will
>               post those next week.
>
> Tesla coiler at large.
> D. Gowin

I think the parasitics you're picking up have far more to do with the
wide range of frequencies that are generated by the discharge. I'd
interpreted your original question as being under non-spark
conditions. I too have seen wideband "noise" that is definitely
generated by the discharge. Anyone else have thoughts on this one?

Malcolm
(moderately large coiler)